You might remember I was quite optimistic at the beginning of this month’s decluttering experiment, fairly certain I was going to find 500 items to let go of between the beginning and end of October… Well, turns out I might have been a tad over-confident.
Ben and I talk through the past week and our efforts in continuing the Slow Home Experiment, and while so far so good, I’m not going to lie – I’m concerned at what the latter part of the month will look like.
I think it’s proving more difficult than expected for two reasons:
- We don’t have as much stuff to let go of as we used to so I need to be very intentional and clinical as I move through the house looking for excess stuff (and honestly, I’m out of practice).
- The stop-start nature of the experiment is taking some getting used to. Needing to shift in to a daily practice of letting go rather than my preferred method of ‘get annoyed at the clutter and let go of 300 things in one day’ is proving a challenge, but definitely one that will help me to dig in to that last layer of sticky clutter and let go.
What I do know is that the feeling of lightness I get when letting go is enough to keep me motivated, and it’s really interesting to go back to that questioning phase. Plus, it’s causing me to look a lot more closely at the clutter we’ve become blind to over the past 12 months.
Here are pictures of (most of) our items over the past week (49 each):
This month is already proving to be a really fun experiment that lots of you are joining in on, so please feel free to play along (it’s never too late to start!) and tag your social media posts with both #minsgame and #slowhomeexperiment.
In the meantime, have a wonderful week!
Or you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
- The Minimalists Game
- How to Deal with Sentimental Clutter
- Facing up to Sentimentality
- 3 Questions for Decluttering Sentimental Items
- R is for Remembering
- The Clutter we are Blind To
- Decluttering #1 – The Slow Home Experiment
Support the Show:
You may have heard that we recently hit 1.2 million downloads of The Slow Home Podcast! Not only does that fact blow my mind, it’s also thanks to your lovely self and the community of people who listen to the show every week, send in your questions and offer your feedback. I’m so grateful you’re here and part of this, and for anyone who has supported the show in any way over the past year – thank you so much.
If you do love the show and would like to show your support by becoming a patron, head over here to make a small monthly donation (as little as $1 a month) and know that any amount makes a huge difference to us being able to cover costs.
Most importantly, thanks for being here!