Bought a coffee for a stranger this morning and felt good about a tiny random act of kindness. Then I felt conflicted because it shouldn’t be about me and my feelings at all. Then I felt worried that writing about it would make me look narcissistic. Then I told myself to shut up and stop overthinking and drink your damn coffee cause it’s getting cold. So… how’s your morning? 😂☕️👍🏼 #slowhomeexperiment
We also walk through some of the kind things we’ve done for others this week, and I would like to put it on record that Ben’s act of kindness to me over the weekend made the world of difference. It was super thoughtful, and while only a small thing, had such an impact. Plus, who doesn’t love it when we realise someone has been thinking about us?
I’ll be posting some ideas for kindness acts over on Facebook this week but here are a few we’ve done this week:
- Something fun and imagination-inducing for the kids
- Ben did the ironing for me while I was away
- Tried to buy coffee for a friend but she wouldn’t let me. In fact she ended up buying mine instead. I had to let go of the “But I want to do you a kindness!” and accepted her offer of kindness.
- Spoke to someone who looked lost and overwhelmed at a conference I attended
- Complemented someone who had her baby at the conference about how well she was doing.
- Sent a really heartfelt email to someone I admire a lot, simply saying thank you.
- Reacted with compassion and kindness when someone was nervous to tell me bad news
- Bought coffee for the next person in line at the coffee shop.
- Yoga teacher asked for good vibes for her partner who’d been in hospital. After class I asked her if he was OK, listened, then asked her if she was OK.
None of these is big, and most don’t cost anything other than our time and attention, but the benefits are much more wide-reaching than I’d expected.
Tell me, are you joining in on this month’s experiment? How are you finding it?
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: