Dr Justin Coulson is one of Australia’s leading parenting experts – a father of six, a doctor of psychology and a passionate advocate for intentional relationships – and in today’s episode he and I sit down to discuss the importance of turning up for the people we love.
And while Justin is a parenting expert, he’s also a highly regarded psychologist and a voice of practical reason in all areas of relationships and in today’s episode he and I talk through a number of different ways we can turn up, be present and choose intention for the people we love – whether we’re a parent or not.
We start this conversation talking about the idea of slow living and how Justin, a self-professed ‘fast-paced’ person, fits in to a show centred on the idea of slow. As is often the case, the impression of slow living is one in which everything happens at a slow pace, or involves lots of meandering down time. But, as you probably know by now, it’s far more about intention than it is about speed. And because Justin is someone who talks about the importance of intention, I knew he was someone I wanted to talk to.
We chat about the impact intention has not only on parent-child relationships, but also the way we use technology, the way we allocate our time, and the way we choose our priorities. We also talk about the immense pressure we put on ourselves by trying to be everything to everyone, and how the resulting comparisons leave us exhausted and feeling like a failure.
I have a feeling there will be follow-up questions for Justin, so please feel free to leave them in the comments section below and hopefully I’ll get the chance to chat with Justin again in the near future.
Check out after listening:
- Justin’s Website – Happy Families
- The Happy Families Podcast
- Justin’s books, programs and products
- Connect with Justin: Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: