I’ve always thought I had a handle on meditation. If not the daily practice or the practiced way of sitting, at least I understood how to let my mind relax and not engage with the thoughts that flow – simply let them be instead.
That was until this year.
Ben and I are practicing yoga every morning at the moment, and most days we finish with a short meditation in corpse pose. This year, my ability to just be during these few minutes has just… disappeared.
Thoughts flit by and I grab on to them, and before I know it I’m thinking about my day or mentally working through an issue. And honestly, it’s kind of super frustrating.
So today’s episode comes at a golden time for me, and if you’ve ever tried meditating, only to be constantly frustrated by the thoughts incessantly drifting across your mind, today’s episode is just as much for you.
I sit down with meditation practitioner, yoga teacher and all-round delightful human, Emily Cordes, and we dive into what it actually means to meditate, how to get started, and how living mindfully has personally helped her work through periods of anxiety and depression.
We also talk about the realisation that we don’t actually have to believe the thoughts our anxious minds present – a revelation both myself and Emily have come to as a result of therapy, simplicity and mindfulness.
I realise this might sound like a heavy episode, but it’s actually a really uplifting and inspiring conversation with loads of resources and links from Emily, to help everyone try their hand at meditation.
——Head over to iTunes to subscribe to the show and play the episode. Or you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- Sit Breathe Meditate
- Emily’s classes
- Headspace app
- Insight Timer
- 10% Happier – Meditation for Fidgety Skeptics
- Tara Brach
- Pema Chodron
- Jack Kornfield
- Joseph Goldstein
- Sam Harris
- The Miracle of Mindfulness by Thich Nhat Hahn
- Connect with Emily: Facebook || Twitter
- #slowhomepod Use this hashtag when you give us a shout on Instagram
- #slowhomeexperiment if you’re playing along with our monthly experiments.
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. Our current experiment is all about awe and how slowing down for an awe-inspiring moment every day can affect your life in massive ways. The good news is you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: