A few months ago, Ben was reading a blog post from today’s podcast guest Kelly Exeter. He stopped and looked at me and said, “So…you and Kelly are pretty much the same person?”
And it’s true – we have a very similar world view and her story is incredibly close to my own. I absolutely loved the opportunity to sit down and chat with her about life, family and learning to slow down, because as similar as we are, Kelly’s daily life is significantly different to mine.
After last week’s episode, where we dipped in to the realities of slow living while working full-time, this chat comes at a great time. Kelly and her husband both work full-time so we’re able to talk about how slow living fits in to a family that includes two full-time working parents.
We also talk about the anxiety and depression that forced her to slow down, why she now builds deliberate inefficiencies into her day, the myth of finding work/life balance and the “traffic light system” that allows her to decide whether she’s doing life well over time.
There are so many nuggets of wisdom scattered throughout this episode and I think you’re going to love it.
Today’s show is sponsored by Audible.com where you can access over 180,000 audiobooks, including Yes Please by Amy Poehler. Click here to get a free, no strings attached, 30-day trial of Audible and claim one free audiobook of your choice.
Alternatively, you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
You’ll Hear About:
- Kelly’s journey from exhausted, stressed and emotionally spent, to intentional and content
- The importance of white space in our days and lives
- Why Kelly now builds deliberate inefficiencies into her day and what the benefits are of doing so
- The impact ego has on our ability to slow down and say no
- How the desire to be universally liked played into Kelly’s exhaustion, anxiety and depression
- The myth of work/life balance
- The traffic light system of analysing how you’re doing life
- Perfectionism and whether it’s a force for good or bad
- Finding the non-negotiables in life and living in accordance with them
- Whether it’s possible for a family with both parents working full time to achieve a slower, simpler way of life.
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- Manifesto for a Simple Life
- Episode 9 of The Slow Home Podcast with Carl Honore
- Episode 16 of The Slow Home Podcast with Eric Zimmer
- Angela Mollard on losing her licence and becoming a better driver
- The Traffic Light System (via Flying Solo on Facebook)
- The Myth of Work/Life Balance
- Kelly’s book: Your Best Year Ever
- Web: A Life Less Frantic
- Social: @kellyexeter | Facebook
- Today’s Sponsor: Audible.com – Click here for a free 30-day trial and free audiobook.
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: