Travel has been a part of my life for a really long time. Childhood summers were road trips up the coast, caravan parks, campgrounds, sunscreen, mozzie repellent and bodysurfing.
Then, when Ben and I graduated uni we set off on a year-long trip around the world. We travelled through the States, Canada, Europe and SE Asia before coming home and pretending to be adults for a while. But the itchy feet never went away and we still love travel – any way we can get it.
That’s why this week’s episode was such a joy to me, because I get to talk all things travel with Tsh Oxenreider, who has just returned home after a year-long round the world trip with her husband and 3 kids.
We chat about the different types of long-term travel – both slow travel and ‘hurry up and see all the sights’ travel – as well as how to make it work with a family. We look at packing, toys and the things that surprised her most about being on the road for such a long time, and we also talk about the different parenting styles they encountered along the way.
Honestly, this episode gave Ben and I a big dose of itchy feet, so be warned that you may just find yourself perusing airline deals later today. (Not that we did anything of the sort, of course. Ahem.)
Today’s show is sponsored by Audible.com where you can access over 180,000 audiobooks, including 11/22/63: A Novel by Stephen King. Click here to get a free, no strings attached, 30-day trial of Audible and claim one free audiobook of your choice.
Alternatively, you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
In This Episode You’ll Hear About:
- The reasons behind Tsh and Kyle’s big trip
- How long it took them to prepare for a year-long round the world trip
- Western cultures, our abundance of choice and how that differs in other societies
- The loss of paper maps and why travelling without a phone is more fun
- Why Tsh believes you’re never going to be ready for a trip like this – instead just plan, prepare and jump!
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz
- The Art of Simple
- The Art of Simple Travel
- Social: @tsh | Facebook
Today’s Sponsor: Audible.com – Click here for a free 30-day trial and free audiobook.
Support the Show:If you love the show and would like to show your support by becoming a patron, head over here to make a small monthly donation (as little as $1 a month) and know that any amount makes a huge difference to us being able to cover costs. If you love the show and want to support it by continuing to subscribe, listen, share with friends/family or leave a review on iTunes, that’s awesome too!
Most important of all, thanks for being here!
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: