When it comes to routine versus rhythm, it’s rhythm all the way for me.
In today’s show (another solo outing to round out the big podcast launch week) I talk about the difference between rhythm and routine, and why it’s important to apply the friendlier notion of rhythm to our days.
Shifting into a rhythmic approach has been one of the best changes I’ve made to my life over the past few years and I feel like I actually get more done (most days) than if I was to apply a regimented routine to my days.
Later in the episode I also take a look at what my morning rhythm looks like at the moment, why my alarm is set for 4am and what I manage to get done before other members of my family wake up.
I hope you’ve enjoyed the first week of the show as much as I’ve loved bringing it to you! After today’s episode I will be releasing a new podcast every Thursday morning (Australian time) so be sure to subscribe to the show so you don’t miss out.
If you’ve been enjoying the show, I would be so grateful if you could take one minute to subscribe and leave a rating or a review in iTunes. Apparently this gets the show pushed up in the iTunes rankings and will help other people discover the podcast who otherwise may not. One of the biggest reasons I’ve created the podcast is to help share the ideas of slow living with a wider audience, so any help you could offer would be amazing.
With that in mind, grab a cup of something tasty and dive in to today’s episode.
Alternatively, you can listen to the show directly from the blog, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
What You’ll Hear About in Today’s Episode:
- The difference between rhythm and routine
- Why I think rhythm is a better option, particularly when trying to create a slower, simpler life
- Why I choose to get up at 4am
- Why this approach may not work for everyone
- What my mornings look like and how I have created a rhythm that helps me get a lot done before my family wakes up
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- Why Rhythm Trumps Routine
- Austin Kleon on Keeping a Logbook
- How to Establish Your Morning Rhythms (including a free worksheet)
- What to do when you lose your rhythm (with bonus Elaine Benes gifs!)
- My book – Destination Simple: Rituals and Rhythms to Simplify Your Daily Life
- Try this basic sun salutation to start your morning well
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. Our current experiment is all about awe and how slowing down for an awe-inspiring moment every day can affect your life in massive ways. The good news is you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: