Online inspiration is a strange thing. If you’re anything like me, your life has been positively impacted by blogs, books, podcasts and even Instagram feeds, but sometimes even the good ones leave us feeling overwhelmed. That’s why I love digging in to the past of my guests and getting a little insight into what life was like for them before they started simplifying. I love looking into the why, and even more importantly, the how of making those first difficult changes. When I can see that my guests had to start somewhere, it makes the entire process seem far more manageable, and the destination of a slower, simpler life that much closer. Today’s guest is Joshua Fields Millburn – one half of The Minimalists and a delightful human – and he and I go back to his life pre-minimalism. We look at why he made the shift away from the American Dream (hint: it wasn’t his dream after all) and how he started the process of simplifying. We look at some practical approaches for dealing with clutter and the “just in case” stuff that trips so many of us up, and we also talk about the importance of understanding our reasons for wanting to change. Both Joshua and I have found that it’s these reasons that keep us going when things get tricky, so spending the time to uncover our why is super important as we create a simpler, slower life. Joshua also talks about simplicity and living a creative life, as well as the upcoming release of Minimalism: A Film – the beautiful documentary he and Ryan have produced. This is such a warm, wide-ranging conversation, and I hope you walk away from it as inspired as I did.
——Head over to iTunes to subscribe to the show and play the episode. Or you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- The Minimalists
- Minimalism: A Documentary About the Important Things
- The Minimalists Podcast
- Connect with Joshua: @JFM | Facebook | IG
- #slowhomepod Use this hashtag when you give us a shout on Instagram
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. Our current experiment is all about awe and how slowing down for an awe-inspiring moment every day can affect your life in massive ways. The good news is you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: