One sure-fire way to feed the family for less is to stop eating meat. I think I could manage that, but to take it out of Sparky’s diet may lead to a mutiny. So we’ve started to eat less meat, with anywhere between one and three dinners per week being meat-free.
Sharing some of our favourite vegetarian meals is my way of encouraging each of us to eat less meat. Bon appetit!
Easy Vegetable Lasagne
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- 2 zucchini, grated
- 1 large sweet potato, grated
- 2 handfuls mushrooms, chopped
- 1 x 825g tin crushed tomatoes
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tsp sugar
- fresh lasagne sheets
- 500g ricotta
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 180c.
2. Heat a splash of olive oil in a frypan, and cook the onion till soft.
3. Add garlic, vegetables, tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
4. Add sugar and season to taste.
5. Lightly oil large lasagne dish and arrange a layer of lasagne sheets on the base. Top with a thin layer of sauce, then continue to layer pasta and sauce, making one of the layers with ricotta cheese. Finish with a thin layer of sauce on top, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place into oven for 30 minutes.
6. Stand for 5 minutes before cutting to serve.
** The awesome thing about this recipe is, you can substitute the vegies for anything you have on hand. We often include a layer of wilted spinach or silverbeet, as well as some grated pumpkin, squash or carrot. **