Embracing simple living feels like saying no a lot.
- No, I won’t buy that dress.
- No, I don’t need to fill that space.
- No, I won’t overcommit my time.
- No, I won’t buy into the drama.
And quite often, we need to say no.
But simple living isn’t about withholding pleasures, going without joy or embracing a life of scarcity. It’s about setting yourself free. Specifically, setting yourself free to say yes more often, yes to the things that are important, yes to actually living life.
We can be free to say yes to:
- space – both mental and physical
- your kids when they ask you to play
- engaging more
- enjoying a cup of coffee with your partner – even if there is still work to be done
- finding your passions
- peace and quiet – sitting in the stillness is OK
- spontaneous adventures and travel
- getting up earlier
Some of these things you may be already doing, and some you may have no interest in doing. The difference here is choice. We’re making room in our lives – by simplifying – to say yes to more of the things we want to, when we want to.
What do you want to say yes to?