It’s the beginning of a new month, which means the start of a new Slow Home Experiment!
In today’s episode Ben and I talk about our new decluttering experiment, why we wanted to go back to our simple living roots, and the rules of the #MinsGame we’re following this month.
Essentially though, the #MinsGame is super simple:
- Day 1 of the month, let go of one thing. Day 2, two things. Day 3, three things, and so on, all the way to the end of the month.
- Ben and I are choosing to do this individually, which means double the stuff leaving our home.
- We’re going to try to keep it to our personal things and shared household items (ie not any of the kids stuff) simply to see how challenging it will be.
- You can choose what your parameters are though – there’s no right or wrong way to do it. Just try and make it a consistent action every day and see how you feel in a month’s time.
- We’re collecting our items for donation to the local op shop and have a bag in the linen cupboard for that purpose. When it’s full we’ll drop the bag off and start another. There’s no need to make a daily trip, just make sure you have a place to put your decluttering items and remember to drop them off when the bag or box is full.
In today’s poggie, both of us talk through our first three days worth of clutter, the strange emotional attachment we form with things – particularly when tied to important moments in life – and the freedom and lightness that comes with letting go.
Here are both mine and Ben’s items from the first three days:
I also spend some time talking about the importance of simplifying and the impact decluttering the family home had on my recovery from post-natal depression, as well as the massive ongoing benefits that letting go of the excess has provided over the past few years.
This month is going to be a really fun experiment that anyone can join in on, so please feel free to play along, and tag your social media posts with both #minsgame and #slowhomeexperiment.
In the meantime, have a wonderful week!
- The Minimalists Game
- D is for Decluttering
- Slow Home Essentials: Decluttering
- 10 Life Affirming Reasons to Embrace a Simpler Life
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: