A few weeks ago I sat down to chat all things meditation with Kevin Janks – the founder of Centred Meditation in Sydney. It was fascinating to talk to Kevin about his journey from skeptic to practitioner and the benefits of meditation that he’s experienced personally, as well as those he sees daily in his clients and students at the studio.
What I failed to do though, was ask him how to meditate. (Quite the oversight, really!) When I realised that and started getting lots of questions in follow up to our chat, I knew I needed to sit down with him again and go back to basics.
In today’s poggie we talk about his definition of meditation and why it can be much simpler than we expect and he takes us through the simple process they teach at Centred Meditation. I also ask him how long we need to meditate for in order to start feeling the benefits and what kind of words or visualisations we need to practice.
I then had the chance to ask Kevin some of the most common questions I’ve received since we first spoke, including:
- What equipment do I need to start meditating?
- What apps does he recommend in order to learn meditation?
- How can I avoid falling asleep when I start meditating?
- Is there ever any reason to not meditate?
- How can I maintain a regular practice of meditation?
Then, blissfully, Kevin closes today’s episode with a simple guided meditation I think you’re going to enjoy a lot – I know I did as I sat and listened!
I’d also love to know your experiences with meditation – what you like about it, what’s challenging, what works, what doesn’t, why you’ve developed your own practice, or why you want to. It’s been one of the single most transformational practices I’ve adopted over the past few years and has been instrumental in many of the changes I’ve made, and I’d love to hear your stories too.
Thanks again to Kevin, and enjoy the episode (and the meditation at the end!)
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- The Simple Art of Meditation with Kevin Janks
- Centred Meditation
- Centred Meditation on Facebook
- Insight Timer App
- Headspace App
- 1 Giant Mind App
- Smiling Mind
- Meditation Experiment
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: