Founded by surfing enthusiast, Amanda Marechal, marine ecologist, Roberta Dixon-Valk and environmentalist, Tim Silverwood, Take 3 is based on the very simple idea that small actions can have a big impact. And considering Plastic-Free July has now officially begun, we figured this would be a great time to talk about the very simple idea that lies at the heart of Take 3:
Simply Take 3 pieces of rubbish with you when you leave the beach, waterway or… anywhere.
So every time you go out in to nature – be it the beach, a bushwalk, the park or river – pick up three pieces of rubbish and put them in the bin. It’s that simple.
One of the things I love about this idea is its accessibility. Kids can get behind this simple call to action just as well as (if not more than) adults, and once we introduced our kids to the idea of ‘taking 3’, it’s been incredible to see just how enthusiastic they’ve become. And in that lies the power of Take 3.
In an upcoming poggie I chat with Tim Silverwood of Take 3 about the power of these small actions (keep an ear out in a few weeks for that one!) and he told me that while the small action of taking 3 is important, it’s the awareness that comes as a result that has the true power. And I’ve seen that in action with our own family – once we see the rubbish that’s left behind, the impact it has on the environment we love so much, it’s impossible to unsee.
The takeaway from today’s episode couldn’t be simpler: when you’re out in nature, try taking 3.
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- Take 3 for the Sea
- Biome eco store online This is where I’ve bought most of my reusables:
- Plastics: Say no to the Big 4
- Plastics: Talk to your butcher
- Plastic Free July
- Plastic Free July #1
- Plastic Free July #2
- Slow Home: Minimising Cleaning Waste
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. Our current experiment is all about awe and how slowing down for an awe-inspiring moment every day can affect your life in massive ways. The good news is you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: