When Carolyn Tate was last on the show we had an incredible conversation about conscious capitalism, B Corps and ethical manufacturing. During that chat we scratched the surface of a bigger idea – that of purpose – but I knew there was more to discover.
Since we last spoke, Carolyn has written a book about purpose, The Purpose Project – A Handbook to Bringing Meaning to Life at Work, and it’s that topic we dive deep in to in today’s episode.
If you’ve listened to the show for any length of time you’ll know that the idea of finding your personal Why is central to slow living. Once we know why we want to slow down and what we want our lives to stand for we can begin to form a foundation on which we build a simpler, slower, more intentional life. A life of purpose.
Unfortunately I think purpose often gets mixed in with the more prevalent and sexy notion of ‘passion’ and in this week’s poggie Carolyn and I discuss the important difference between a life built upon passion and a life built upon purpose.
I’m also asked a lot about finding slow-ness in a workplace that doesn’t value it, and Carolyn has some really practical advice for people looking to cultivate purpose in their work, rather than sell all their stuff and go live on a beach in Thailand (as nice as that sounds sometimes!).
We also talk specifically about people who work in corporate jobs (an area I have virtually no experience in) and what individuals can do to cultivate purpose in their work, or how they as an individual can have an impact on the wider purpose of the organisation they work for.
The truth is, corporations aren’t going anywhere, and Carolyn is passionate about helping people turn corporations in to places of purpose (not lip service) and firmly believes that positive global change lies on the other side of purpose.
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- The Purpose Project
- The Path to Purpose by William Damon
- It’s the journey, not the destination with Carolyn Tate
- Conscious capitalism with Carolyn Tate
- Connect with Carolyn: Twitter | Facebook | IG | youtube
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. Our current experiment is all about awe and how slowing down for an awe-inspiring moment every day can affect your life in massive ways. The good news is you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: