My favourite psychotherapist, the lovely Linda Esposito returns to the poggie today after last chatting with me way back in November 2015. Linda can always be relied on to cut through the BS that occasionally attaches itself to conversations about health, mindfulness and wellness, and I never fail to walk away from our conversations with a new perspective.
Recently Linda posted on Instagram about the overcomplification of mindfulness and why we need to bring it back to its simplest form, and we talk about that idea in today’s episode. Personally I worry that the over-engineering (and the commoditisation) of mindfulness is turning people away from an idea that, at its core, is incredibly simple and powerful, and Linda has some advice on how to adopt a simple kind of mindfulness for those of us who feel overwhelmed at the sheer volume of information out there.
I also ask Linda question I’m asked a lot: As we begin to make positive changes in our lives, as we begin to live more mindfully, why do we so often find ourselves feeling better in some ways but worse in others? Why do we feel more aware of the discomfort and overwhelm in our lives, when we’re actively trying to reduce these? And, importantly, what can we do about it?
Linda and I also talk about boredom and why it’s so important, and the benefits and value in not doing. We chat about meditation and the impact it has on our cognitive functions, as well as its far-reaching benefits.
(Be sure to check out the links below to connect with Linda, and for more information on the live Patreon-exclusive video call early next week.)
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- Wired For Happy
- Connect with Linda: Facebook | Twitter | IG
- Join Ben and I for our first live video call on Patreon – July 24th at 6pm AEST.
- My brand new book is coming soon! It’s called SLOW and you can pre-order it here:
- North American friends, you can pre-order Destination Simple now:
- UK friends, you can find Destination Simple in all good bookstores or:
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: