Considering it’s only a few short weeks until the end of the year (wait, what?) we’re continuing our series on how to slow down the holidays so that we all may have a chance to actually enjoy them rather than simply grit our teeth and get through.
This week we’re talking less about the stuff that accompanies the holidays, and more about the busy-ness. There’s office Christmas parties and annual get-togethers with friends, holiday dinners and school concerts and end of year performances and plenty of other social engagements. And while most of these really are lovely things to do, when there are so many happening in such a short period of time it can be really overwhelming.
Ben and I talk about different ways of decreasing the busy-ness, and specifically, how we can take charge and be the ones who say:
- Let’s catch up – in the New Year
- Why don’t we all pack a lunch and meet down at the park?
- Want to come on a bush walk with us?
- We’re inviting all our loved ones to our place for one big holiday catch-up. Bring a plate.
But we also talk about the fact that this is a busy time of year, and there’s benefit to be had by accepting and embracing it (to a point). Enjoy the hell out of the concerts and the dinners and the act of spending time with loved ones. It might be busier than you’d like, but what a way to spend out time, hey?
I’d love to know how you try to keep a lid on the holiday busy-ness. Do you have a rule about how many events you attend? Or are you the one instigating them? Do you love the rush of a full calendar this time of year?
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- Episode 210 – Slow Holidays: Clutter-Free Gifts
Support the Show:You may have heard that we recently hit 3 million (!!) downloads of The Slow Home Podcast! Not only does that fact blow my mind, it’s also thanks to your lovely self and the community of people who listen to the show every week, send in your questions and offer your feedback. I’m so grateful you’re here and part of this, and for anyone who has supported the show in any way over the past year – thank you so much. If you do love the show and would like to show your support by becoming a patron, head over here to make a small monthly donation (as little as $1 a month) and know that any amount makes a huge difference to us being able to cover costs. Most importantly, thanks for being here!
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. Our current experiment is all about awe and how slowing down for an awe-inspiring moment every day can affect your life in massive ways. The good news is you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: