A few months ago I received an email from a listener about her hectic work life. She had just listened to an episode of the pogpast where one of my guests suggested people who feel overworked should simply find a way to work fewer hours. And while she understood the meaning behind the advice, it didn’t apply to her life – at all.
She asked if there was a way she could use slow living to balance her full-time work with family and external commitments while still living an intentional life. After reading her email it became a goal of mine to find a guest who could talk about just that – finding mindfulness amidst a hectic workplace or demanding career. Enter, Scott Eblin.
Scott is a business and leadership coach who works with senior executives around the globe. He teaches them how to adopt mindfulness into their day-to-day work lives and why it will prove transformational not only in their work, but also their home and personal lives too.
I first discovered Scott on the shelves of my local library, where his book Overworked and Overwhelmed caught my eye. But once I started reading his story I knew I wanted to spend some time talking with him. Not only has he experienced the feeling of being overworked and overwhelmed himself, he has used mindfulness, yoga and meditation to turn his health around and manage a potentially debilitating neurological disease.
I loved this conversation so much and could very easily have spoken with Scott for hours. Even if you don’t find yourself struggling with a hectic workplace, there are so many gems in this chat that apply to all areas of life, and listening to Scott’s story is inspiration enough.
One of the biggest takeaways for me was Scott’s advice on how to deal with a stressful workplace:
- You needed to look after yourself – no-one else is going to do it.
- Don’t look for a 100% solution. Instead, go for a 5% solution.
We also speak about the beauty and importance of taking baby steps every day, the best place to begin and Scott’s ridiculously easy advice to help everyone slow down – right now.
——Head over to iTunes to subscribe to the show and play the episode. Or you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- The Eblin Group
- Scott’s blog
- Overworked and Overwhelmed: The Mindfulness Alternative
- Life GPS
- Wherever You Go, There You Are by Jon Kabat-Zinn
- Buddha’s Brain by Rick Hanson
- 7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey
- Jack Kornfield
- Lama Surya Das
- Connect with Scott: @ScottEblin
- #slowhomepod Use this hashtag when you give us a shout on Instagram
Love Slow? Support the show!
- Join the Slow Experiment Club over on Patreon. We’re launching a new Slow Experiment soon (focused on social media use) and you can join in the fun for as little as $1 a month
- Follow us on Instagram @slowhomepod
- Sign up for our slow-living love letters
- Leave a rating or review in iTunes
- Keep listening: